- Hot cracks
- Cold cracks/Delayed cracks
- Lack of fusion
- Incomplete/excess penetration
- Slag/ Inclusion
- Burn through
- Root Cavity
What is Meaning of Defect:-
A defect is a reject able discontinuity, which occurs in an amount great enough to render a particular object or structure unsuitable for its intended service based on criteria in the applicable code.
Classification of Defects:-
1) Planar defects / Two dimensional defects — E.g. cracks, lack of fusion, lack of penetration, are crtical in nature and are not tolerated to any extent.
2) Voluminal defects / Three dimensional defects — E.g. slag inclusion, cavities, porosities, etc are tolerated to a certain extent depending on the product class and applicable code.
3) Geometric defects– E.g. excess reinforcement, underfill, root suck back, distortion are also permitted to a certain extent.